Governor Lamont Applauds U.S. Information & World Report Research Rating Connecticut Among the many Finest States for Gender Equality
(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Ned Lamont at present is applauding the release of a study from U.S. News & World Report rating Connecticut as probably the greatest states within the nation for gender equality. The governor mentioned that this problem has been a key precedence for his administration, notably in relation to making certain equal entry to financial alternatives.
The research ranks Connecticut because the seventh greatest state total when it comes to gender equality, and the #1 state in its financial subcategory. Based on the research, girls within the state earn 97% of what males earned, the smallest pay disparity in weekly earnings. That is the primary time the group has launched a report highlighting states which have created the perfect environments for equal therapy between women and men. It considers a number of elements, together with politics and enterprise, in addition to bodily and monetary well being.
“Ladies’s rights are human rights, and I’m proud that Connecticut is being acknowledged as one of many high states that not solely acknowledges this reality however takes each effort to implement insurance policies that promote gender equality,” Governor Lamont mentioned. “From enacting a paid household medical depart program, to enacting legal guidelines that advance equal pay within the office, safeguard entry to healthcare providers, and enhance entry to childcare, Connecticut is a pacesetter on gender equality, which is without doubt one of the the explanation why we’re essentially the most family-friendly state within the nation.”
One of many first actions Governor Lamont took upon taking workplace in 2019 was to create the Governor’s Council on Women and Girls. The group has been tasked with offering his administration with a coordinated response to points that affect the lives of girls, women, and their households. Lt. Governor Susan Bysiewicz serves as its chairperson.
“As chair of the Governor’s Council on Ladies and Women, I’m devoted to persevering with our administration’s mission of making extra gender equality by supporting the rights and alternatives of girls and households all through our state,” Lt. Governor Susan Bysiewicz mentioned. “The council is made up of an unbelievable group of main girls tasked with offering a coordinated state response to points that have an effect on the lives of girls, women, and their households. Our state has applied a complete paid household medical depart program, raised our minimal wage, handed Connecticut’s Pay Fairness Regulation, and labored with neighborhood companions and nonprofit organizations just like the Ladies’s Enterprise Growth Council to create the Fairness Match Grant Program. That’s why we’re some of the female-friendly states within the nation. It has been my honor and privilege to be part of creating coverage that has helped the ladies and women of our state for over 20 years, and I’ll proceed my dedication to that mission so long as I’ve the privilege of serving our nice state.”
Some latest insurance policies enacted in Connecticut that promote gender equality embrace:
- Enactment of Paid Household and Medical Depart program: In 2019, Governor Lamont proposed and signed a law that made Connecticut amongst one of many first states to enact a paid household and medical depart program, making certain that employees have entry to the required advantages that enable them to take time without work work to take care of their very own well being, a new child baby, or a sick member of the family.
- Elevating the Minimal Wage: In 2019, Governor Lamont proposed and signed a law that steadily will increase the minimal wage to $15.00 per hour after which indexes the minimal wage to inflation. Almost 60% of minimal wage employees in Connecticut are girls.
- Disclosure of wage vary to job candidates and staff: In 2021, Governor Lamont signed a regulation encouraging pay fairness that requires employers to open up to job candidates and staff the wage ranges for positions. It additionally expands Connecticut’s prohibition of gender-based pay discrimination to require equal pay for “comparable,” versus “equal” work.
- Permitting childcare as an eligible marketing campaign expense when operating for state workplace: In 2021, Governor Lamont proposed and signed a regulation that enables candidates operating for state elected workplace beneath the residents election program – generally referred to as public financing – to make use of funding from this system to cowl affordable childcare bills when immediately associated to marketing campaign exercise.
- Selling gender fairness on state boards and commissions: In 2021, Governor Lamont signed a regulation making a statutory requirement for appointing authorities to think about suggestions from organizations that symbolize the curiosity of gender and racial variety when looking for folks to serve on state boards and fee.
- Defending reproductive rights and healthcare providers: In 2022, Governor Lamont signed a first-in-the-nation law that protects medical suppliers and sufferers looking for abortion care in Connecticut who could also be touring from different states which have outlawed abortion. Moreover, it expands the kind of practitioners eligible to carry out sure abortion-related care.